8/08/2008

Wild Goose Chase

Posted by Kevin |

I got selected to do a review of Mark Batterson's new book, 'Wild Goose Chase,' and I can't wait to read it. I will be posting my review once I recieve and read the book - but I thought I'd post this excerpt.

In the beginning, God made man in His Image.

Man has been making God in his image ever since.


Call it naturalism. Call it anthropomorphism. Call it idolatry. Call it what you will. The end result of this spiritual inversion is a god that is about our size and looks an awful lot like us. And most of our spiritual shortcomings stem from this fundamental mistake: thinking about God in human terms. We make God in our image and what we’re left with is a God who can never surprise us, never astonish us, never overwhelm us, never transcend us.

Thomas Jefferson loved the teachings of Jesus. In fact, the author of the Declaration of Independence once called them the most sublime and benevolent code of morals which has ever been offered to man. But Jefferson was also a child of the Enlightenment. He didn’t have a cognitive category for miracles so Jefferson literally took a pair of scissors and cut them out of his King James Bible. It took him two or three nights. And by the time he was done, he had cut out the virgin birth; cut out the angels; and cut out the resurrection. Jefferson extracted every miracle and the end result was a book titled the Life and Morals of Jesus of Nazareth or what is commonly referred to as the Jefferson Bible.


Hard to imagine isn’t it? And something rises up within those of us that believe the Bible is divinely inspired by God. Part of us scoffs or scolds Jefferson. You can’t pick-and-choose. You can’t cut-and-paste. You can’t do that to the Bible. But here’s the honest truth: while most of us can’t imagine taking a pair of scissors to the Bible and physically cutting verses out, we do exactly what Jefferson did. We ignore verses we cannot comprehend. We avoid verses we do not like. And we rationalize verses that are too radical. And we may not cut them out with a pair of scissors, but the end result is the same. We are trapped by our own logic. Our lives are limited to those things we can comprehend with our cerebral cortex. And we end up in the cage of our own assumptions. And the more assumptions we make, the smaller our cage becomes.
Excerpt from
Wild Goose Chase

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cant wait to read it!

Unknown said...

How exactly does one get chosen to review a book?

Kevin said...

Umm - basically they rate your awesomeness. No, actually I follow Mark's blog and he throw it out for anyone who wanted. Then they go too many requests, so they emailed everyone. I then asked 'pretty please, can I please review it' and they said okay. So I get a copy and then a detialed email of what to post when I do review it. I'm excited.

Unknown said...

Awesome man! That sounds awesome.

Cassi said...

the book sound really interesting! Looking forward to the review...

I really like that opening comment about how we are making God into our image... so true... so true...

Nicky Stade said...

Sheesh, Kev...I like to read and all, but I can only do one book at a time! ;o) LOL Still working on Pagan Christianity, and then maybe I'll pick this one up! Can't wait to read your review! (OKay, so I lied...I'm currently reading 2 books at the same time right now...but I can't add a 3rd! LOL)

Subscribe