...is that stupid people have the same right.

As much as the election of Barack Obama has shown progress in closing the gap of the racial divide, it has also shown us how far we still have to go. Here are just some of the post-November 4th incidents that prove our country still has a ways to go in judging a person by the content of their character and not by the color of their skin;

  • University of Alabama professor Marsha L. Houston said a poster of the Obama family was ripped off her office door. A replacement poster was defaced with a death threat and a racial slur. She stated, "It seems the election brought the racist rats out of the woodwork."
  • Crosses were burned in yards of Obama supporters in Hardwick, N.J., and Apolacan Township, Pa.
  • Black figures were hung by nooses from trees in Mount Desert Island, Maine
  • Second- and third-grade students on a school bus in Rexburg, Idaho, chanted "Assassinate Obama!"
  • Racist graffiti was spray-painted on two dozen cars in New York and a high school and skate park in Texas
  • Swastikas, racial slurs and "Go Back To Africa" were spray painted on sidewalks, houses and cars in Los Angeles
  • At Standish, Maine, a sign inside the Oak Hill General Store read: "Osama Obama Shotgun Pool." Customers could sign up to bet $1 on a date when Obama would be killed. "Stabbing, shooting, roadside bombs, they all count," the sign said. At the bottom of the marker board was written "Let's hope someone wins."
  • In the Pittsburgh suburb of Forest Hills, a black man said he found a note with a racial slur on his car windshield, saying "now that you voted for Obama, just watch out for your house."
[these sound a lot like headlines from the 60's]

If only we could revoke the speaking rights of stupid people who still hold an archaic worldview that separates on the basis of skin color. But their unfortunate (and in some instances illegal) expression of conviction does serve as a reminder to both the minorities and the majorities that we still have work to do.

13 comments:

The Running Golfer said...

That is absolutely disgusting. We look to the USA for guidance but maybe they are not so far ahead of us when it comes to racial issues after all.

I know it`s a minority but it`s also a minority in this country that act like that.

Sad, very sad.

Unknown said...

Or what if we could cause people not to be able to reproduce?! Wouldn't that be awesome?!

Kevin said...

Francois - it is sad. I know we have judged SA for some of the hate/racism that has gone on - but we are not better or different up here.

Chandler - that would be awesome, tough to regulate, but awesome. Think of the appeal process.

Unknown said...

My America:

Tests and income verification for reproduction purposes. Must meet basic qualifications similar to buying a house or car, plus pass a common sense test about general subjects. :D



F#ck these people. They are a dying breed. Give only enough attention to ensure they don't hurt anyone, but in general just ignore them. Their ideology and bigotry are relics of the past. They will soon be gone.

Nicky Stade said...

Yeah, I read about the swastikas in our local newpaper. It saddens me, but doesn't surprise me. Afterall, where I live, white people are the minority. Yet, whites seem to have the loudest "hate voice" here. When will we learn? =(

Nicky Stade said...

By the way, I completely hold your blog at fault for causing my pop-tarts to burn. =P

Unknown said...

i personally don't like the words minority or majority... but blah.

i don't know what's up with all this madness but it is quite upsetting. I don't understand how someone can hate someone else so much due to the color of a person's skin. It really unsettles me.

Kevin said...

Ryan - that is a great idea ;) It's like having lifeguards at the gene pool.

Nicky - sorry about your pop tart, but you obviously haven't read the terms & conditions of my blog - I assume no responsibility for damages or losses during a readers experience. You have to be pretty talented to burn a pop tart.

Denise - me either.

Anonymous said...

I feel that tolerance is the best policy. I think we need to break the circle by using love. While I find people that have an ignorant view on things is frustrating, I think hating them back is almost an oxymoron. It is contradicting to say I hate, hate. Jesus said to love our enemies and to pray for them. I do understand the frustration and the anger it invokes.

Anonymous said...

The night Obama won I was overwhelmed with a feeling of unrest. I literally felt like the response to his election would be like regressing instead of progressing. The things you have posted are proof of this.
Terribly sad.

allie. said...

There is something stomach-turning about naked hatred isn't there?

Especially when its irrational and groundless.

In SA, we had some of those white extremist people saying that stuff in the very early days: even carrying out some violent acts.

You know what?

You never hear of them any more: they are a non event now.

I hope the same happens with you guys (without the violent acts bit, I mean)

Anonymous said...

I have to say I like his pics so far, for his economic team.

Thoughts?

Kevin said...

N8 - I honestly don't know enough about any of them - I do think if you runs his administration like he ran his campaign, that will hopefully translate into good for our country.

Subscribe