For those that have never met my dream, let me introduce the two of you - meet Arbor Place Cafe. I love the logo, courtesy of the very talented Jeff Boriss from my church community.

Most people are accustom to hearing me talk about third places, but if you've never read 'The Great Good Places' by Ray Oldenburg, you may be confused.

But when my family and I moved to Michigan, it was the first time in my life that I was without my third social avenue. And it was in that time that I began to dream about an organic, storefront church community in Ann Arbor, Michigan. I love Ann Arbor, it reminds me of the people, the diversity and the openness of my Colorado upbringing. And it seemed like a solution for so many problems within the church, as I see it. You can visit the ole website at www.arborplacecafe.com and see the unfinished potential of what was going to be.

We had a solid business plan, generous investors, 90% of our equipment purchased, managers in place, good connection with a local roaster, a great marketing plan, fantastic downtown-on-main-street location and then.....after God opened door after door.....they all closed. We ended up losing the lease on the space, failed to get the rest of our working capital secured and when combined with the downward spiral of the economy, it became evident that the risk was outweighing the potential for success.

It was one crazy ride. And I miss it. It was fun taking the risk, negotiating a loan and a commercial lease and it was even cooler because in the end we learned a lot and lost nothing.

I was reminded of it the other day, reminded how crazy pursuing God-size dreams can be, reminded how awesome my friends are (especially Dave Webber) and reminded that God isn't finished with my life nor this dream, it's just on hiatus.

For a little more on the third place, you can check out my old website here.

11 comments:

The Running Golfer said...

So sorry my friend. God`s plans are obviously taking a different route and like I said the other day, He has big plans for you guys. Of that I`m sure.

God bless

Anonymous said...

I'm praying this is just building a foundation for something even greater. Thanks for sharing this. It's actually encouraging me to get out and do something!

Unknown said...

I'm glad. Now you'll have time to help with our clothing conglomerate.

SMS

Thanks

allie. said...

Great attitude Kevin -

Kevin said...

Thanks all - Ryan, lets start it back up man. I loved the SMS logo.

Unknown said...

I'm not joking, once we move for Ash's CRNA school, I'm going to start a skate/snow clothing line. It may not be SMS but is will surely be silky smooth. If we do make our way to the upper midwest we should definitely try a go at it.

Unknown said...

If nothing else, we wear what we make!

Nicky Stade said...

You need to add In a Pit with a Lion on a Snowy Day by Mark Batterson to your reading list. This guy built a church in Chicago and it failed miserably. Now he's a pastor to a several-thousand member (mostly young adults) mega-church in D.C. that meets in movie theaters. The book is about chasing your dreams because God didn't call us to live passive lives. I think you two would get along great. Wish I could have visited your third place...

Kevin said...

Me too Nicky.

I just finished reading Batterson's 'Wild Goose Chase' - which was an awesome challenge to keep after the dream God gave me. Batterson is mos def mad cool.

Unknown said...

Nothing like going to church with thousands of people in a movie theater with 4 drummers and pyrotechnics! Nothing says "I love Jesus" like 10.2 Dolby Digital!

Unknown said...

Sorry, couldn't help myself. I despise mega-churches.

Subscribe